Make Oakland Better Now! supports City Council Member Treva Reid’s proposal to declare that the gun violence in Oakland is a public health emergency. Her full statement, which was released on September 16, is below. As of September 17, Oakland has had 95 homicides, compared to 70 in 2020, which was much higher than any of the previous 5 years. This horrific situation requires an all-hands-on-deck emergency response, as Council Member Reid states. We recommend supporting her resolution.
From Council Member Reid:
Our community is in a state of emergency.
As many of us continue to grapple with unemployment, food scarcity, housing instability, and other issues exacerbated by COVID-19, we also must contend with the emotional weight, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and trauma of ongoing violence in our neighborhoods.
After hearing from many of you via email, during Council and community meetings, and direct calls to our office, I am bringing forth a resolution for us that aims to eliminate the disproportionate amount of gun violence we see in our community.
If adopted, my proposed resolution would officially declare gun violence a public health crisis in the City of Oakland and also endorse community advocates’ call for the Alameda County Board of Supervisors to deploy funds from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) into neighborhood violence prevention services.
With the official declaration and additional funding from the County, we can achieve including, but not limited to:
- Deeper investments for violence prevention programs, like Ceasefire and Mobile Assistance Community Responders of Oakland (MACRO), as well as community healing organizations
- Funds for culturally responsive mental health services
- Additional community clinics and providers to support holistic delivery of health services
- Rental support, down payment assistance, homeownership retention, and affordable housing development
Here is how you can help support:
- Email your support for the “Reid’s Gun Violence Resolution” to the full council at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Log in to Tuesday’s council meeting at 1:30pm, to make a public comment
- Join via Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84614872331
- Join via Phone: +1 669 900 6833, Webinar ID: 846 1487 2331
- Forward this email to our neighbors, District 7 listservs, and fellow East Oakland advocates
Thank you so much for your continuous partnership.